The Design Engineer position is responsible for developing new products, making modifications to existing products and related activities.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops new products and modifications to existing products, including specifying materials, dimensions, and tolerances.
- Researches and sources methods, materials, and vendors as required.
- Prepares concept sketches, layouts and detail drawings using Pro-Engineer design software.
- Directs, coordinates, and participates in building and testing of prototypes.
- Develops and applies test procedures for performance, and conducts suitability for purpose evaluations.
- Participates in formulation of Quality Plan, and helps quality personnel with first production sample inspection.
- Assists with initial production line start-up and provides support as needed.
- Cooperates with production in development of efficient assembly procedures.
- Provides support and guidance to other departmental personnel as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Design and a minimum of 3 years of demonstrated work performance in product design.
- High degree of ingenuity, understanding of spatial relationships, and sense of proportion.
- Ability to work from rough sketches and oral instructions, often with only tentative guidance available.
- Ability to perform any necessary calculations using Calculus and engineering mathematics.
- MUST have a minimum of 2 years experience using Pro-Engineer design software.
- Knowledge of properties and applications of materials, familiarity with machining, injection molding, stamping, and related processes.
- Ability to use measuring tools for prototype and first piece inspection.
- Basic understanding of electrical principles.
- Must understand fundamental business and economic principles and have good judgment in their application.