The Buyer/Planner coordinates activities involved with planning and procuring goods and services for multiple product lines. They are responsible for planning and purchasing items such as complex electromechanical assemblies, fabricated parts and electronics. Work closely with Accounting, Scheduling, Receiving and Production personnel to assure timely delivery of materials while following appropriate policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Issue requests for quotes (RFQ) and select best source consistent with cost, quality and delivery requirements. Negotiate and manage long term pricing agreements on critical commodities.
- Complete purchase requests with domestic and international suppliers by inputting purchase orders, expediting deliveries, and verifying all transactions.
- Handle correspondence concerning over-shipments, delivery shortages, changes in quantity, delivery dates, and prices and report such changes to the interested parties in a timely manner as required.
- Act as a liaison between suppliers and involved departments to resolve procurement related problems.
- Process non-conforming material requests and RMA requests with supply chain partners.
- Authorize payment for purchases by reviewing invoices and related documentation.
- Maintain appropriate inventory levels consistent with inventory goals and as set by management.
- Maintain accuracy of system information, including lead-time, pricing, current supplier information, current purchase order data, etc.
- Maintain inventory levels; making recommendations to management for adjustments to levels.
- Monitor supplier performance by ensuring that product is delivered as scheduled and meets specifications; maintaining appropriate files and records of meetings with suppliers to ensure company requirements are met and that supplier is aware of their performance.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing other job related tasks as needed; enabling other workers to achieve their job objectives.
- Source new suppliers as required and determine the best source of supply by evaluating price, quality, manufacturing capabilities, lead time, service support, and financial stability.
- Negotiate for the most cost effective pricing while ensuring the ability to meet production requirements and quality standards.
- Manage existing supply base and serve as the focal point for communication and decision making to resolve quality, delivery, engineering or other non-routine problems.
- Maintain up-to-date commercial and contractual knowledge of the market place.
- Manage a cost savings program with suppliers.
- Participates effectively as a member of a team promoting the exchange of ideas, information and feedback in all directions.
- May work directly in support of line operations and in collaboration with department managers, engineers or operations staff.
- Ability to evaluate tradeoffs between order quantities, price and inventory investments.
- Demonstrate leadership and expertise in Lean Manufacturing.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Education requirements:
- Advanced level of professional purchasing activities in manufacturing or related industries.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA)
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Proven negotiation skills with the ability to build positive relationships with suppliers.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Resourceful and creative in proposing solutions.
- Motivated individual with a positive attitude.
- Requires minimum supervision.
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with MRP software.
- In-depth understanding of the electronic component industry.