The Buyer/Planner coordinates activities involved with planning and procuring goods and services for multiple product lines. They are responsible for planning and purchasing items such as complex electromechanical assemblies, fabricated parts and electronics. Work closely with Accounting, Scheduling, Receiving and Production personnel to assure timely delivery of materials while following appropriate policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing inventory dollar levels.
- Expedite shortages and material rejection/repair issues.
- Work with Accounts Payable department in regard to invoicing issues.
- Purchase electronic commodities with an emphasis on strategizing and implementing cost reduction activities, quality improvement, on time delivery, inventory reduction, lead-time reductions and customer focus.
- Source new suppliers as required and determine the best source of supply by evaluating price, quality, manufacturing capabilities, lead time, service support, and financial stability.
- Negotiate for the most cost effective pricing while ensuring the ability to meet production requirements and quality standards.
- Provide suppliers with necessary information such as drawings and quality specifications.
- Manage existing supply base and serve as the focal point for communication and decision making to resolve quality, delivery, engineering or other non-routine problems.
- Maintain up-to-date commercial and contractual knowledge of the market place.
- Evaluate Supplier Performance.
- Work collaboratively with all internal customers to meet their needs in a timely manner.
- Establish, nurture and maintain excellent vendor, internal and external customer relationships supporting our values of integrity, reliability while demonstrating the highest ethical standards.
- Resolves conflicts concerning materials or services at the department and vendor levels.
- Creates, reviews, and manages purchase orders.
- Inputs, edits, and retrieves purchasing data.
- Purchases materials, using engineering and production schedules to maintain inventory planned levels.
- Manage a cost savings program with suppliers.
- Participates effectively as a member of a team promoting the exchange of ideas, information and feedback in all directions.
- May work directly in support of line operations and in collaboration with department managers, engineers or operations staff.
- Works out remedies for defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors and others.
- Ability to evaluate tradeoffs between order quantities, price and inventory investments.
- Demonstrate leadership and expertise in Lean Manufacturing.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Education requirements:
- Advanced level of professional purchasing activities in manufacturing or related industries.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA).
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Proven negotiation skills with the ability to build positive relationships with suppliers.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Resourceful and creative in proposing solutions.
- Motivated individual with a positive attitude.
- Requires minimum supervision.
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with MRP software.
- In-depth understanding of the electronic component industry.