The manufacturing engineer position develops and implements optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards; recommends and implements improvements to production processes, methods and controls; coordinates manufacturing launch for new or revised products. Strive to improve manufacturing process via automation implementation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Manufacturing Engineering Duties
- Carries out process improvement, problem resolution, project management and employee training.
- Improves manufacturing processes and methods for cost-reduction, quality improvement and efficiency.
- Assists plant manager in improving a system of production control, standard operating procedures, safety, quality control and training.
- Performs research, design and development of manufacturing processes including automation, production flow, assembly methods and production equipment.
- Maintain awareness of the latest technical advances in manufacturing processes; identifying those that SL should incorporate.
- Prepares and maintains detailed layouts of buildings and equipment.
- Work with engineering on new product development providing feedback on manufacturability and assembly flow utilizing best manufacturing practices. Create and maintain work instructions and point of use picture system.
- Identify equipment needs for new products and design cell around assembly flow and equipment demands. Execute equipment purchase and installation.
- Coordinates the manufacturing launch of new/revised products including establishing goals, training team members and evaluating results. Prepare periodic status reports for new products under development.
- Resolve manufacturing bottlenecks by finding solutions to production problems, etc.
- Designs, develops and tests and/or sources and cost-justifies various tools, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods.
- Attend design reviews and provide feedback from the manufacturing standpoint.
- Interface with Quality Assurance department on product quality issues. Aide in troubleshooting problems and provide corrective action as it relates to production processes and /or cell equipment.
- Train cell leaders and respective assembly personnel on new products and existing product revisions.
- Interface with maintenance technician to set up and maintain preventive maintenance schedule for all cell equipment.
- Represents manufacturing on cross-functional teams.
- Work with regulatory guidelines to ensure safety and environmental standards are met.
- Ensure all equipment complies to safety guidelines and maintain lock out / tag out process
- Oversee safe handling and storage of chemicals to Haz Mat standards. Ensure all chemicals are marked properly.
- Maintain inventory of shop supplies, expendable production supplies and tools. Order as necessary.
- Plan, organize, direct, and control duties of the manufacturing engineering department.
- Strive to achieve departmental cross training and promote job knowledge advancement.
- Keep subordinates aware of performance objectives and quality standards to satisfy Company commitments.
- Enforce company personnel policies per employee handbook.
- Verify employee time reporting and submit approval via TG-Pro software system.
- Maintain employee records, perform yearly employee evaluations, and suggest increase to Plant Manager for approval.
- Monitor and approve employee PTO requests in balance to achieving department goals.
- Maintain a neat and orderly shop area.
- Lead by example. Motivate and treat employees fairly and with respect.
- Interact with co-workers at all levels and from all departments.
- Promote team player attitude within departments and company wide.
- Adhere to company policies and practices.
- Follow safety rules and common sense safety practices.
- Keep Plant Manager aware of problems and schedules.
- Interface effectively with others.
- Participate in sound quality practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Manage department of up to 8 full time direct reports with responsibilities in facilities maintenance.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or related field and 5 years related supervisory experience. Computer assisted design (CAD) proficiency.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret assembly drawings, mechanical and electrical schematics and manufacturing processes. Ability to effectively present information to executive management.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply basic arithmetic functions.
REASONING SKILLS: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out multiple step instructions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use of hands, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.