This position is for a skilled technical administrator who is responsible for ensuring all assigned Customs entry documents and related filings are processed accurately and in a timely manner in accordance with all applicable regulatory and company requirements. This role will also be responsible for detecting and preventing violations of U.S. Customs laws and import regulations and curtailing the entry of prohibited goods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Examines, classifies, and appraises imported merchandise according to federal revenue laws in order to enforce regulations of U.S. Customs Service.
- Examines and appraises merchandise and accompanying documentation according to import requirements, considering legal restrictions, country of origin, import quotas, and current market values.
- Requests laboratory testing and analyses of merchandise as needed.
- Determines duty and taxes to be paid on imported merchandise, considering its classification and value.
- Interviews importers and examines their records to verify integrity of invoices.
- Notifies other governmental agencies responsible for particular import inspection or when apparent import violations concern other agency regulations.
- Issues or denies permits to release imported merchandise for delivery, depending on importers meeting legal requirements.
- Track and inspect goods, if necessary, coming into Streamlight from any land border crossing, seaport or airport.
- Master all imported commodities procured by Streamlight.
- Maintain discipline by constantly updating knowledge, both in commodities and in changing U.S. import laws and regulations.
- Work side by side with customs, freight forwarders and legal professionals.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Education requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, International Business, Logistics, Transportation or related field preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of international import freight forwarding experience preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of Customs Import operations and regulations experience preferred.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Must be detail oriented with excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills.