The Product Group Specialist position is responsible for the execution of both product planning and product opportunity development with respect to specific product groups.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the creation of comprehensive product strategies from product conception, definition, pricing and product launch through the end of product life cycle to enable achievement of sales and profit objectives.
- Maintains a record of all significant changes to the product during its life cycle including the dates, serial #, and nature of the change.
- Participates in the analysis of facts and trends of the product category within the Company’s various Markets with respect to competitive product entries, consumer usage and attitudes; recommends action to capitalize on profit opportunities.
- Conduct on-going visits to customers, trade shows and suppliers to gather information on market requirements.
- Responsible for identifying and execution of market research to stay current on consumer insight, trends, new products and packaging.
- Continuously monitors existing product performance and customer satisfaction in order to proactively resolve problems and minimize loss or exposure.
- Maintains a constant awareness of existing and future technology trends/advances affecting the industry and their potential application.
- Assists in development of Product requirement statements.
- Participates on a cross-functional team to develop new products, including drafting new product concept descriptions.
- Works with engineering to identify design direction and produce a physical prototype.
- Works with Engineering Department to perform competitive analysis and initiate comparison testing to identify competitive advantages and features.
- Work with Marketing Department to drive voice-of-the-customer and develop market message.
- Assists in the development of Product positioning statements.
- Helps in the performance of Beta Testing and Market Testing.
- Analyze market and competitive information to set new product pricing and manage price on existing products.
- Provide Sales and Marketing launch and ongoing support for new and existing products including recommending communication tools and collateral materials as well as helping to provide channel training.
- Works with Sales department to estimate new product sales volume, profitability and breakeven point.
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision in a matrix environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required. BS in Marketing, Business or Engineering preferred.
- 3-5 years of marketing and/or product management work experience including customer contact and travel.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment strongly preferred.
- Exposure/experience in technical sales a plus.
- Knowledge of the consumer and professional product development cycle.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments simultaneously.
- Must be able to analyze complex data, situations and develop a range of solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be able to present data and conclusions in an organized manner.
- High energy level; comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Ability to travel both domestically and overseas to work with current and potential customers and end-users.